Continuing up Edwards Street were the following 4 businesses:
- Tucked in behind the Painton’s second shop was John McPherson’s Yard. However it became the ‘borrowed site’ for an extraordinary man called Felix Tanner, also known as Charles Jackson. An Australian by birth, he was a showman who caught the public eye with such things as tightrope walking, balloon parachute jumping, fasting, public speaking etc. In 1906 he constructed an ARK in MacPherson’s building Yard which is best understood by looking at a photo. It looked more like a floating barrel and was his fourth Ark, the others having all been wrecked. He eventually sailed it to Picton but not before annoying all the local marine authorities who could not prevent him from launching it as it did not fit into a marine category of cargo or passenger ship.
- James Thomas’s Boot Shop was right next door to the Oddfellows Hall, on the corner of Edward Street and what is now known as Arrow Street. Like many businesses of the time, it was his house as well as his business premises. In 1895 he moved his business to Belgrove.
3. Ashley Doel’s Boot Shop. This shop was just next to James Thomas’s shop on Arrow Street. The shop frontage is still there and the business operated during the 1950’s and 60’s. A three legged collie dog was his well-known companion.
4. Bastin’s Timber Yard. In the 1930’s one of the old Wakefield School classrooms was shifted onto the site. It is still recognisable although it has had a lean-to added to each side.
This information was shared on a historical walk (in October 2022) along Edwards Street, presented by Roger Batt, from the Waimea South Historical Society (Inc 2022).